BCP (BioCarbon Partners) is a social enterprise which develops and manages long term forest carbon projects in Zambia. BCP’s mission is “making African forests valuable to people”. BCP seeks a dynamic, talented, hard-working individual to serve as a Senior Conservation Coordinator within field-based REDD+ projects in the Luangwa-Zambezi Ecosystem. This role oversees conservation activities across an area of approximately 800,000 hectares of forests of global biodiversity significance. Most of these areas are located in Game Management Areas bordering strategic National Parks, governed by agreements between local communities, the Government of Zambia, and BCP. The primary role shall be achieving forest protection, improved biodiversity conservation and land management operations in REDD+ zones. The objective is to set up and manage conservation interventions with a long-term objective. This position involves frequent travel for extended time periods to remote and rural forest areas with limited infrastructure or amenities. The position requires consummate diplomacy skills and the ability to develop agreements and build effective teams.
- Develop Site Operations Plans, which guide effective security systems and land management plans, in close
association with partners, including local communities, and to oversee the implementation thereof.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of landscape-level REDD+ management and planning processes, including
implementing land management, security operations, capacity building, effective community and stakeholder
engagement, forest monitoring coordination, biodiversity monitoring systems, effective Government engagement,
and infrastructure development.
- Limiting deforestation within REDD+ Zones in BCP sites in Lusaka and Eastern Provinces.
- Ensure effective conservation sensitization and outreach through BCP’s Community Engagement Team.
- 100% effective conservation asset management.
- Ensure ongoing community commitment to and sound enforcement of all signed REDD+ Agreements and
operations plans at all sites.
- Build effective forest protection teams working with Government partners.
- Oversee the refinement of, and implementation of, a fire management plan at all sites.
- The development and implementation of regular standard operating procedures (SOPs), systems, and policies that support BCP’s vision of continental-class conservation management.
- Demonstrated minimum 10 years’ experience in African conservation.
- University Degree in Social Conservation/Natural Resources Management Preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing procedures and systems that work in challenging conservation settings.
- Strong communication, writing and interpersonal skills, and a skilled diplomat effective in inter-cultural settings.
- Strong management and organizational skills with demonstrated operational and leadership acumen.
- Advanced computer literacy (plus the use of GPS and Android devices).
- Valid driver’s license and demonstrated ability to drive in all seasons in rural conservation areas.
- Demonstrated conservation planning skills. Experience with USAID systems compliance a plus.
Compensation: A competitive remuneration package will be offered.
Application Process: Interested candidates should send a Cover Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Senior Conservation Coordinator in the title.
Deadline: 31st March 2017