Drawing on the long experience of the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT, a member of the CGIAR Consortium) in promoting “Climate Smart Agriculture”, the Climate and Environmental Policy team is developing new targeted services to advise policy-making in Asia on the design and implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions under the Paris Agreement. In this context, policymakers need further support in identifying policy options for the transition towards less emission-intensive agriculture, the associated costs and potential trade-offs between global targets and local objectives in terms of reducing poverty and promoting economic development. Relying on interdisciplinary expertise and a broad range of available methodologies within CIAT, the Climate/Environmental Policy team thereby seeks to provide enhanced information to policymakers to contribute to the development of adequate and context-specific strategies and investment portfolios.
In this endeavor, the Climate/Environmental Policy team at the CIAT Regional Office for Asia intends to be an active player in global, regional and national discussions on sustainable agriculture. A key goal of the team is therefore to contribute developing effective partnerships with other initiatives on mitigation and adaptation in the region; thereby facilitating the up-scaling of a resilient and climate friendly agriculture in Asia.
The successful candidate is expected to provide general support to socio-economics and policy research as part of the Climate/Environmental Policy team. He/she will assist senior staff in planning and conducting research activities, data management and analysis, and in reporting and preparing various communication products. Specifically, the key tasks are:
- Lead and support research on the implementation of climate and environmental policies for the agricultural sector in Vietnam and across Southeast Asia.
- Research and lead activities on Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of projects and policies.
- Support the development of Country Profiles on Climate Smart Agriculture for various Southeast Asian countries.
- Contribute ensuring research output is delivered in a way accessible to the target groups and can be easily disseminated.
- MSc in economics, political science and related social sciences.
- At least two years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with the agricultural sector.
- Experience with quantitative research and econometrics would be an advantage.
- Understanding and interest in international climate policy.
- Experience in policy-making in Asia is a plus.
- Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills in English.
- Willingness to travel across the country including for fieldwork, and occasionally to other Southeast Asian countries as needed.
Terms of employment
The position is nationally recruited and will be based at CIAT Regional Office, Hanoi, Vietnam and reporting directly to Dr. Godefroy Grosjean, Climate Policy Expert. The initial contract will be for up to one year, subject to a probation period of six (6) months, and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the CIAT Human Resources Office, Ms. Chanthana Douangsavanh (email@example.com) and Mr. Grosjean Godefroy (G.Grosjean@CGIAR.ORG) indicating “Research Associate, Climate/Environmental Economics and Policy” on the subject line.