REDD Advisor (Mintom, Cameroon) – WWF
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) is one of the largest independent conservation organizations in the world. WWF is an international NGO committed to environmental protection. The global conservation organization, active in almost 100 countries, has been working in the Congo Basin in Central Africa for more than 20 years. Our mission is to stop the environmental degradation in the world and build a future where humans live in harmony with nature. We are looking for a REDD Advisor for our Cameroon Programme Office, who will support sustainable management of natural resources in Ngoyla-Mintom and contribute to the improvement of living conditions of local people.
- Lead all processes for REDD initiatives in the Ngoyla-Mintom Forest Block;
- Develop a Reference scenario of Deforestation and Degradation and assess social and environmental Impacts of REDD strategic activities;
- Design and Implement a Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system for REDD,
- Design a System of Management, Implementation and Evaluation of Readiness preparedness activities;
- Set up and facilitate the implementation of a strategy to develop identified REDD related rural activities in Ngoyla-Mintom Forest Block (agroforestry, reforestation, afforestation silviculture, agriculture…);
- Provide input for the integrated management of mining, logging, energy production and transport activities in TRIDOM in general and in NgoylaMintom area in particular;
- Provide input for the development of community forestry in NgoylaMintom;
- Contribute in the development and promotion of a local equitable benefit sharing mechanism for proceeds from the management of income from REDD;
- Support capacity building for key stakeholders and other partners in the project area on REDD related issues;
- Gather, analyze relevant information and produce reports on REDD to facilitate the development of a national REDD strategy and provide input in development of policy and legal framework on REDD at national and regional levels;
- Under the supervision of the project manager, ensure project compliance with work plans, budgets, technical and financial reporting and monitoring/evaluation requirements.
- Advanced university degree in an appropriate field (Environmental Economics; environment, conservation, natural resource management, forestry, biology, agroforestry or tropical Ecology);
- At least 4 years professional experience in applied biology, reforestation/afforestation, forest management or agroforestry;
- Relevant experience in REDD (different methods for carbon stock evaluation, overview on the national and international discussions on climate change and REDD…);
- Fluency in written and spoken French and working knowledge of English;
- Broad working experience and good knowledge of conservation and development issues in Central Africa and Africa in general;
- Working experience with indigenous people, mining and logging sectors is an asset.
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Passionate & Optimistic, Challenging & Inspiring, Credible & Accountable, Persevering & Delivering Results.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, with the ability to network and to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels;
- Strong skills in project planning, management, implementation, and evaluation, and experience working with donors;
- Strong organisational and analytical skills;
- Willingness and ability to work in a remote area;
- Adaptable, flexible, able to take initiative and prioritize among competing demands.