Program Assistant – Climate Action Reserve (CAR)
The Climate Action Reserve is a North American offsets program working to ensure integrity, transparency and financial value in the carbon market. It does this by establishing regulatory-quality standards for the development, quantification and verification of greenhouse gas emissions reduction projects in North America; issuing carbon offset credits known as Climate Action Reserve Tonnes (CRT) generated from such projects; and tracking the transaction of credits over time in a transparent, publicly-accessible system. Adherence to the Reserve’s high standards ensures that emissions reductions associated with projects are real, permanent and additional, thereby instilling confidence in the environmental benefit, credibility and efficiency of the carbon market.
The Program Associate’s primary role is to support account holders and other stakeholders including offset project developers that use the Reserve to report emissions reductions/removals projects under our program standards. This individual assists with the review of project documents, including verification reports, leading to the issuance of emission reduction credits using the Reserve software system.
Program Support (50%)
– Provide training and technical assistance to account holders on programmatic requirements, including the Reserve online software, through presentations and ongoing individual communication through email, telephone, webinars and in person.
– Perform approval of new account holders, oversight of project verifications, review project submittals, listing new projects, review variances and verification reports.
– Assist project developers and verification bodies with policy interpretation, methodology and clarification issues.
– Help develop written materials and resources to assist reporting, verification, auditing and project activities.
– Respond to general inquiries about the Reserve’s reporting and verification program.
– Provide statistical analysis and measurement of project status.
– Undertake and complete research assignments as requested.
– Assist with creating course content for trainings, exams, workshops, webinars and conference calls.
– Help manage online resources including database of contacts, policy clarifications, and verifier/technical assistance provider program updates.
– Assist in the development and implementation of the Reserve’s internal and external operating procedures.
– Help document programmatic activities and maintain the programmatic portion of the Reserve’s website.
– Assist with administration of Reserve’s software, testing, troubleshooting, and electronic filing.
– Assist Program staff with other administrative tasks as needed.
– Degree in public policy, environmental science or management, environmental engineering, or related technical degree preferred.
– Experience or interest in working with GHG/climate change, corporate environmental management, and/or air quality issues.
– Demonstrated exceptional research and writing skills and strong oral communication skills.
– Ability to review and understand technical documents, perform emission calculations, conduct data analysis, and present results in a simple and understandable fashion.
– Strong experience with MS Office applications and databases.
– Either forestry, carbon sequestration, engineering and/or statistical experience preferred.
– US citizenship or legal right to work in the US
– Bilingual, Spanish speaking preferred
– Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and manage time well
– Strong customer service and interpersonal communication skills
– Team player and quick learner who focuses on high productivity and results
– Professional, friendly, and enthusiastic personality
– Self-starter with a proactive attitude who can anticipate needs
Date Posted: March 15, 2011
Job Type: Full Time
Job Status: Sourcing
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Position includes competitive benefits package
Email Sana Badalian, Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with a completed application.