Carbon Market Watch is seeking a dynamic and experienced Policy Officer to lead Carbon Market Watch’s EU policy work leading up to COP-19 in Warsaw and the European Council meeting in March 2014.
- Analyse and influence relevant climate and energy policies;
- Advocate and reach out to the European and international institutions and other stakeholders;
- Monitor and analyse relevant climate and energy policies at EU and international levels;
- Prepare and disseminate information (briefings, campaign notes, lobby points etc) on EU and international policy developments related to the quality and quantity of carbon offsets in EU legislation;
- Coordinate joint position papers, press statements and letters across the Carbon Market Watch network;
- Organise press briefings and manage media relations;
- Carry out these tasks in close cooperation with the Carbon Market Watch team and a large network of European and International NGOs;
- Actively support and contribute to Carbon Market Watch ´s fundraising efforts and reporting requirements.
- Influence EU policy makers in the process leading up to the COP-19 in Warsaw and the European Council meeting in March 2014
The successful candidate will combine experience in effective EU lobbying strategies with sound knowledge of European and International climate change policies. A minimum of three years of relevant experience in Brussels and the ability to work independently is essential. Prior experience with voluntary and/or NGO work is desirable.
The ideal candidate should embody the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- A strong commitment to environmental protection and human development;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated analytical skills, drafting of briefing papers and experience with climate change policy analysis;
- Superior oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate and adapt to different audiences (political, technical, media…), reach out to stakeholders, and present to and lead groups with confidence;
- Demonstrated project coordination and management skills and experience in team-work with people from diverse cultures and nationalities;
- Ability to identify relevant raising issues, formulate policy options and make recommendations;
- Sound knowledge of European climate change policies. Experience with international carbon markets, aviation, shipping and forestry policies is an asset;
- Ability and willingness to build contact networks among a wide range of stakeholders;
- Fluent spoken and written English essential. Other languages considered an advantage.
Closing date in 19 September 2013. We are looking for a candidate available to join our team as soon as possible. The Policy Officer is based in Brussels and will report to the Director. We offer a competitive salary in line with Brussels standards. We will offer an initial contract for one year. Contract extension is dependent on the forthcoming availability of funds.
Applicants should send their CV, references and a strong cover letter, addressing the competencies required to email@example.com. Only highly motivated and experienced candidates will be considered.
Read more about the position here.