The Policy Director is a senior position within the American Carbon Registry (ACR), leading ACR’s California, regional, federal and international policy strategies, investigating new opportunities for ACR with emerging climate policies and cap and trade programs in other states and nations, and collaborating with team members and other Winrock business units to expand Registry operations.
In 2012, ACR was approved by the California Air Resources Board as an Offset Project Registry (OPR) and Early Action Offset Program (EAOP) for the California cap-and-trade program. Our work in California is a dominant component of our registry activities and therefore will comprise a significant portion of the Policy Director’s focus. This includes liaising with the Air Resources Board staff, as well as developing and maintaining key relationships with regulated entities. In addition, the policy director will lead ACR’s strategy to engage with regional, federal and international programs to as relevant climate policies are taking shape.
- Lead ACR’s California, regional, federal and international policy strategies.
- Engage and collaborate with key stakeholders, clients and partners, including relevant regulatory and government agencies, WCI jurisdictions, California cap-and-trade market participants, RGGI participants, ACR California advisory committee members, key business leaders and leading environmental NGOs to directly support the success of the compliance offset markets.
- At the regional and federal level, as well as in key international markets, co-develop and lead strategy for ACR’s engagement in relevant policy related to GHG emission reductions.
- With the Director of Business Development, design and deliver targeted workshops, conferences, and webinars.
- Oversee periodic market analysis and work with ACR team to communicate results.
- Work with Director of Business Development to identify strategic partnerships, product and service offerings and to create communications and outreach materials for target compliance market constituencies.
- Contribute to business development through successful implementation of ACR’s business plan and via collaboration in the development of other funding opportunities that will enhance ACR’s business objectives.
- Represent ACR at conferences, workshops and webinars as well as to key stakeholders and partners.
Qualifications and Background
Education: Master’s degree or PhD in Environment, Energy, Public Affairs, Economics or other relevant field
- At least 10 years of experience with environmental markets and policy including climate change, energy, environment and related fields
- Must be highly knowledgeable regarding carbon markets and in particular the California carbon offset market
- Networks inside ARB, CalEPA, EPA, capped entities and other private and non-profit organizations working on climate change and the California compliance market
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of strategic business in the carbon offset market or a related sector
- Experience required in fundamental GHG/climate change scientific and accounting principles, including verification and auditing standards and procedures of GHG quantification and reporting
- Required knowledge of the Clean Air Act and networks at the federal level, including with EPA and USDA
- Team management experience and a demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire team members
- Strong analytic, marketing, writing and communication skills
- Experience in effective lead generation and business development skills
- Demonstration of high level of client service including thorough and timely responses to client and partner enquiries
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage work flow effectively, to manage teams and to track and meet deadlines for multiple activities and clients
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is preferred
Other: Must be available to travel domestically and internationally for short-term assignments.
Must not require sponsorship to work in the U.S.
Read more about the position here.