Job Title: Outreach Manager
Start Date: Immediately
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Reporting to: CEO
The Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the associated VCS Program were launched in November 2007 and are now well established among the leading global greenhouse gas (GHG) standards and programs in the voluntary carbon market. Our primary objective is to bring standardization, transparency and credibility to the voluntary carbon market. Increasingly, we are generating lessons and providing inputs for compliance regimes emerging worldwide.
The VCS Association (VCSA) is seeking an Outreach Manager to oversee the growth and expansion of the VCS outreach and marketing program, from strategy and collateral production to the planning and execution of specific tactics and campaigns.
The Outreach Manager will be responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of all aspects of a small but growing marketing operation based in Washington and reaching a diverse global audience. Principal tasks and responsibilities will include, at a minimum, the following:
- Manage and update the organizational outreach and marketing strategy to ensure effective communications with VCS stakeholders and market participants worldwide, to include managing all budgetary and administrative aspects of the strategy.
- Manage the outreach team, including VCS staff, outside vendors and consultants.
- Ensure the ongoing development of the VCS website, from planning and executing web development projects to ensuring the ongoing editing and updating of existing content.
- Draft, edit and manage the production of all outreach and marketing materials, including public statements, website content, print materials/collateral, and corporate governance materials (eg, newsletters, annual report).
- Oversee the use of the VCS trademark and the overall VCS brand by market participants, and ensure compliance with licensing agreements.
- Manage the VCSA’s relationships with all media outlets.
- Manage the ongoing development of internal procedures for the outreach department.
- Assist with other parts of the organization as needed.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong grasp of communication strategies.
- A minimum of ten years of professional work experience, ideally in communications with ample experience writing content for print and web.
- Solid grasp of corporate governance and disclosure good practice.
- Demonstrated project and people management ability.
- Experience with web development projects, particularly in respect of content development.
- Design skills would be an asset.
- Experience in international policy development, climate policy development or related fields would be an asset.
- Fluency in English; another UN language would be an asset.
- Ability to multi-task and balance urgent tasks with tasks linked to long-term projects and priorities.
- Ability to articulate verbal and written communications and to translate abstract technical concepts
- into clear and vivid language.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Professional approach and demeanor.
- Superior organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive salary is available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the application process. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
In order to streamline the application process, applicants are invited to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
- A short writing sample (maximum 500 words) describing the key marketing and outreach challenges and opportunities facing VCS.
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 8 June 2012.
Read more about the position here.