ZSL’s Cameroon Programme was established in 2007 and now encompasses a diverse portfolio of projects to address existing and emerging threats to biodiversity including support to protected area management, private sector partnerships to reduce impacts on biodiversity and combatting wildlife crime. Based out of Yaoundé, the programme currently focusses on two landscapes; the Cameroon TRIDOM landscape, primarily in and around the Dja Biosphere Reserve in the south east of Cameroon and the Douala-Edea landscape, close to Douala.
ZSL are seeking a Landscape Manager with extensive and relevant management and technicalexperience, to ensure the effective delivery of ZSL’s exciting and rapidly expanding programme of work in and around the Dja Reserve. The post holder will be responsible for the development and implementation the programme of work, managing the associated human and financial resources, leading on technical and scientific oversight and ensuring a continuity of delivery of high quality outputs with significant conservation impacts.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project design, implementation, management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Managing the team of staff, contractors, partners and other personnel responsible for delivering programme activities, producing work plans, reviewing progress, and adapting plans as necessary to ensure the programme stays on track.
- Ensuring the scientific and technical rigour of project design and implementation.
- Managing and reporting on grant funds related to the programme, monitoring and forecasting of spend and oversight of staff budgets.
- Assist with maintaining and nurture existing, and develop new, relationships and partnerships with relevant actors in the country, including government authorities, donor agencies, national and international NGOs, private sector and research institutions.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and secure funds for the programme, including the preparation of fundraising proposals.
- Lead on the programme’s technical and financial reporting internally and to donors, partners and other external audiences.
This is a senior management level position, reporting to the Country Manager, which requires proven experience of managing projects, teams of people and associated resources, ideally in developing countries. The successful applicant should also have proven experience in applying best practice when designing, implementing and monitoring and evaluating projects. The successful applicant will have experience of securing and managing donor funds and experience of developing and managing relationships with partners and donors.
Candidates should also have:
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English and French is essential.
- A higher degree in a relevant subject or equivalent work experience, ideally in Central Africa.
- Experience in the design, planning, implementation and management of conservation and/or research projects, ideally in a Central African context.
- Proven experience in managing budgets and grants.
- Proven experience of managing multiple people and teams to deliver on objectives and maintaining a high level or performance.
- Knowledge and understanding of current international and ideally Africa specific biodiversity conservation issues.
- Skills in GIS software (ArcGIS/QGIS), statistical programmes and experience in the use of the SMART software or other patrol based monitoring support software such as MIST or cybertracker would be desirable.
- Proficient understanding of aspects of ecology, natural history, social science or other relevant conservation science discipline and applying these methods to ensure scientific/technical rigor of programme activities.
- Excellent writing skills, including technical and financial reports, scientific papers and proposals.
Please note: The post will be based in Yaoundé with frequent travel to field sites and to attend meetings and workshops, as required. Some travel within Central Africa may also be required. The position is to start as soon as possible. A full job description is available here.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills). Click the “Apply for this job online” button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org