PROFESSIONAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO: TCI-915-13-PRJ
Deadline for Application: 26 July 2013
POSITION TITLE: INVESTMENT OFFICER
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: Africa Service (TCIA), Investment Centre Division (TCI), Technical Cooperation Department
GRADE LEVEL: P-3
DUTY STATION: Rome
DURATION: 1 year ( with a possibility of extension)
POST CODE/NO: 2003899
CCOG CODE: 1E
Applications from qualified women as well as from qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged. Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Investment Centre Division (TCI) promotes investment in agriculture and rural development in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments, international financing institutions (IFIs) and other development partners with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve growth, poverty alleviation, food security and nutrition goals.
Under the overall guidance of the Director, Investment Centre Division (TCI), and the supervision of the Chief, Africa Service (TCIA), the incumbent will be responsible for contributing to investment programme and project formulation, implementation support and evaluation in the areas of livelihoods resilience and rural development. In particular, the incumbent will provide support to FAO’s renewed commitment to a hunger-free Horn of Africa (HoA) in line with FAO’s new Strategic Objectives (SOs). In particular, the incumbent will:
- support the coordination of TCI country- and regional-level efforts in the HoA within FAO’s country programming frameworks (CPFs) and its renewed commitment to a Hunger-free HoA, including coordination of efforts with the Subregional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE), FAO Country Offices and FAO projects in the HoA, based on jointly defined priorities and requests for support from the subregion;
- support knowledge management, document lessons learned and good practices, and create linkages with other ongoing initiatives and partnerships to eradicate hunger and increase resilience;
- support results-based planning and reporting, and provide advice on how to improve the focus and relevance of the HoA Programme of Work and Results Framework in line with FAO’s new Strategic Objectives (SOs) and countries’ priorities;
- contribute to the operations of the Organization’s new strategic orientation by providing support to the implementation of the new SOs in the HoA, in particular SO-5 “Increase the resilience of livelihoods to threats and crises”;
- contribute to the work of TCIA on capacity development by supporting countries and regional economic communities (in particular, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development [IGAD]) in programming and investment planning in support of livelihoods resilience and rural development;
- participate in field missions for the identification, preparation, implementation support and evaluation of livelihoods resilience and rural development projects and programmes, in collaboration with the major partner financing institutions, in line with country priorities;
- prepare reports and briefs on FAO’s renewed commitment in the HoA;
- perform other related duties as needed.
Candidates should meet the following:
- Advanced university degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Natural Resources Management, Social sciences, Geography or a closely related field;
- Five years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas; agriculture, rural development, pastoralism or livelihoods;
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of French
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Extent and relevance of experience in coordination, facilitation and knowledge management
- Extent and relevance of experience in responding to development issues in arid and semi-arid areas, pastoralism, livelihoods resilience and rural development
- Experience in dealing with regional economic communities and government officials, development partners and beneficiaries in the context of investment operations
- Ability to coordinate and manage multi-stakeholder processes under tight deadlines • Good communication skills, both oral and in writing
- Experience of working in Sub-Saharan Africa
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://icsc.un.org/
For guidelines to applicants, please visit the Application Toolkit at: http://www.fao.org/employment/current-vacancies/project/en/
Send your application to:
V.A TCI-915-13-PRJ Director, TCI FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome, ITALY Fax No: +39 06 5754657 E-mail: VA-915-13-PRJ-TCI@fao.org
Please note that FAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Director-General and may be assigned to any activities or office of the organization.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT