The University Hospital of North Staffordshire NHS Trust (UHNS) is a large acute teaching hospital located in Stoke on Trent. It has a £400m+ new hospital development.
The Trust is committed to reducing its carbon footprint in line with legislative requirements and Department of Health (DH) targets; and to implementing its Carbon Reduction Plan in conjunction with the Carbon Trust. A strategy to develop sustainable processes and practices needs to be developed and implemented across the whole of the Trust to aim towards being self sustainable in the longer term.
The post holder will act as the Trust’s strategic and operational lead for the sustainability agenda, leading on implementing specific actions outlined with the Trust’s Carbon Reduction Plan including realising recurring financial benefits associated with the DH’s targets outlined in “Saving Carbon, Improving Health”.
The post holder will have key duties and accountabilities in the following areas:-
- Sustainability – develop and deliver the strategy and achieve financial targets around energy consumption and carbon reduction; including carbon trading.
- Energy – have overall responsibility for energy and utilities procurement both inside and outside the PFI working closely with Estates and procurement colleagues.
- PFI management – Ensure PCo meet their contractual obligations in terms of performance and adherence to Trust policies and national legislation.
- Development and business planning – Lead the Trust’s effort to conserve energy and reduce expenditure producing business cases.
- Governance – forward scan for legislative changes to ensure that the Trust’s position with regard to sustainability and corporate citizenship are optimised.
The post holder will coordinate the work of the relevant Corporate Services Division managers including Estates & Facilities, Waste, Energy, Transport, Supplies & Procurement, Finance and the PFI service providers via the PFI Contract Performance Management Team.
The post holder will hold a relevant masters degree or equivalent, plus specialist knowledge in a range of areas associated with the sustainability agenda and appropriate knowledge of legislation and guidance. They will be able to demonstrate robust project management and organisation skills, demonstrate experience of working within or with the NHS, partnership working, and an enthusiasm for and commitment to carbon reduction/ environmental issues within their application.
For further information please contact Andrew Underwood, Director of Corporate Services, on (01782) 554707 or email email@example.com.