About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner working to make low-carbon clean energy and WASH solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools to scale locally-driven solutions.
A diverse range of organizations are improving people’s lives in the face of poverty and climate change. At Nexus, we connect award-winning organizations with world-leading businesses, donors and investors, inspiring and funding change that maximizes sustainable development outcomes.
We support continuous learning and professional development, offering a robust in-house knowledge base on carbon finance, footprinting, fund management, innovative finance, sustainable development, networking, capacity-building and sustainability strategy.
Since being formed in 2009 by an alliance of development organizations, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services that support the growth and impact of our members and partners. Nexus engages with several international actors:
– Development practitioners (Social enterprises, NGOs)
– Private sectors companies and corporates, investors and donors
– Researchers, policy makers and international standards and associations
For more information, visit www.nexusfordevelopment.org
Join our team!
Nexus seeks a Fundraising & Knowledge Officer to be based in our office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Fundraising & Knowledge Officer will play an important role to support the growth of both Nexus’ network and financial capacity. The role is key in identifying grant opportunities to support Nexus’ activities, specifically the knowledge work with the social enterprises we support.
This role is best suited for an individual who is resourceful, detail-oriented, a good networker, and an excellent writer. The person must have experience in developing new areas of work and driving partnership opportunities. Nexus for Development is looking for someone who is familiar with climate change, renewable energy, and sustainable development.
1) Business Development and fundraising (~75%)
– Tracking and identifying funding opportunities for Nexus’ various areas of work, technical consultancies, and projects by doing research and developing a pipeline of prospective funding opportunities
– Proactively build strategic relationships and networks with donors, investors and key partners
– Lead on or coordinate all grant funding opportunities:
o Assessing the potential of a funding opportunity, analysing requirements, and recommending a course of action to senior management
o Managing the whole proposal development process: writing the proposal and coordinating inputs from the different teams
o If successful: take care of the contract negotiation and contracting process with both funders and partners
– Responsible for grant management, reporting to donors, and appropriate follow up, as well as detailed record-keeping
– Provide input on Nexus’ strategic direction and development of new lines of business, driving new project development opportunities
– Account management of key relationships across the Ecosystem and Nexus’ various business lines.
2) Knowledge and Ecosystem Facilitation (~25%)
– Manage Nexus’ network. This includes:
o Manage relationships with existing network and partners, maintaining engagement by: organizing and facilitating quarterly webinars, coordinating ad hoc working groups, and sharing a monthly newsletter including updates, knowledge resources and funding opportunities.
– Oversee the knowledge work and engagement with a wider network of social enterprises, financiers, and other actors in the ecosystem
o Manage the programme “Leveraging Innovative Finance Together” (LIFT) which seeks to accelerate sustainable energy and water entrepreneurship in Asia. The programme engages with stakeholders to facilitate dialogue, organize knowledge activities and drive sector finance and implementation in the region. It also undertakes research and collaboration with partners.
o Grow Nexus’ role as a facilitator and ‘connector’ between entrepreneurs and financiers (donors, impact investors, corporates) within the LIFT programme. The scope of the programme depends on successful fundraising and partnerships.
o Depending on the activities throughout the year, manage and oversee the work of a project coordinator implementing the LIFT work.
Key skills and qualifications
– Previous business development and fundraising experience, including grant sourcing, grant application processes, writing concept notes, proposal development and networking desirable
– Positive track record of planning and leading on proposal submissions as well as delivering fundraising results
– Strong proposal writing skills, including writing short unstructured concept notes as well as responding to call for applications
– Experience in donor reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and budget management
– Good networker and knowledge of donor profiles (foundations, institutional donors, etc.)
– Experience in coordinating and developing knowledge sharing activities such as webinars, working groups, trainings, and workshops
– Strong project management and coordination skills; especially multiple projects with tight deadlines
– Degree (Master’s preferred) in international development, international business, environmental sustainability or related technical field of expertise
– Minimum 4 years’ experience in business development with a strong fundraising component, grant writing, and project management
– Knowledge of climate finance, renewable energy, climate change mitigation or adaptation, WASH, sustainability issues, climate change and impact finance a plus
– Fluency in written and spoken English required, additional language skills in French, Khmer, Chinese or other relevant language a plus
– Previous experience living and working internationally with an appreciation for multicultural teams strongly preferred, with experience in South East Asia a plus.
– Pro-active and solutions-oriented work approach, with proven adaptability and ability to support multiple and shifting demands and deadlines
– Comfortable working in virtual teams in an international, multi-cultural setting
– High level of autonomy in carrying out own work, yet with a keen team-spirit
– Passion to remain at the forefront of sustainable development funding.
Role Title: Fundraising & Knowledge Officer
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Reporting to: Director of Business Development
Direct reports: Tbd
Term: Unspecified duration contract under Cambodian law; minimum 2-year commitment of employee expected
Remuneration package: 15 -25k USD per annum, commensurate with experience (circa 12-13% taxation; benefiting from local competitive cost of living). 40 days of annual leave including public holidays. Training allowance. Annual flight home provided for international staff per year of work. Visa, work Group Person Accident insurance and travel insurance provided.
How to apply:
To apply, please submit a CV and a 1-page cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Application to Business Development role” and include a relevant writing sample. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until January 11th, 2019.
In your cover letter please explain why you are well prepared to take on the responsibilities of this position, highlighting relevant examples of your work experience.
Please note that only complete applications will be considered.