The Forestry Program Officer is an important technical role within the American Carbon Registry (ACR), providing support to the Director of Forestry, and other members of ACR staff on all aspects of registry management, including, but not limited to reviewing project listing applications, data reporting and verification documents; formulating responses to technical questions raised by project developers and verification bodies; supporting business development and outreach activities; and helping to coordinate the development and/or approval of new quantification methodologies.
- Review and provide substantive feedback on documents for listing, verification and registration of California compliance forest projects, and other project types as needed.
- Review and provide substantive feedback on documents for listing, certification and registration under the ACR voluntary offset program for forestry and other land based offset project types.
- Interact regularly on a technical level with ARB and with clients to address issues that arise through the project development and verification process.
- Develop technical analyses, presentations, outreach materials, and reports to support the work of the Director of Forestry or other senior ACR staff.
- Track and understand technical guidance from the Air Resources Board related to the US Forests Compliance Offset Protocol and the Cap and Trade t types as needed.Regulation affecting Registry processes.
- Coordinate new offset methodology approval including review, technical support, assisting with identifying and coordinating technical peer reviewers, setting up meetings, and providing meeting notes.
- Represent ACR at various meetings with clients, regulatory agencies and others organizations.
- Provide assistance and background information for responses to general new business inquiries
- Assist with contracting, mobilizing and monitoring short term consultants and peer reviewers.
- Liaise with other Winrock divisions for new business development and coordination of jointly implemented activities.
- Provide support to proposal preparation including researching and gathering background information and helping write and prepare quality, targeted and accurate proposals.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
- Bachelor or advanced degree in Forestry, Natural Resources Management or related field.
- The candidate must have at least 5 years of experience working with projects in the carbon market or related environmental markets including forestry, ecosystems, and sustainability. The candidate must have familiarity with fundamental greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting principles, including verification and auditing standards and procedures of GHG quantification and reporting. Candidates who have completed ARB training and passed the exam in the US Forests Compliance Offset Protocol are preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in GHG accounting in the California compliance and voluntary forest carbon markets.
- Understanding of basic forest mensuration and modeling techniques, and silviculture.
- Ability to manage project operations and work flow effectively, to track and meet deadlines for multiple tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, impeccable integrity and trustworthiness, sense of humor, and diplomatic approach to problem solving.
- Ability to consistently interact with others in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner, maintain a positive attitude and good working relationships, and work effectively in a team setting.
- Ability to work independently for timely completion of quality deliverables.
- Strong technical, analytical and statistical skills.
- Strong speaking, presentation and written communication skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is an asset
- Certified Professional Foresters preferred. Must be available to travel domestically for short-term assignments. Commitment to Winrock’s mission and interest in market-based approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions required. Candidate must be comfortable working in a flexible, high-paced environment and able to work well in teams and also independently.