The International Policy Coordinator, working within the Policy Center for Environment and Peace, contributes to the achievement of Conservation International’s international policy objectives by supporting coordinated and efficient policy efforts across priority areas, including biodiversity, climate change, and sustainable development. As part of this role, the Coordinator will work with cross-institutional policy teams, including policy, science, field, and communications staff, to support effective team functioning and creation of relevant products. The Coordinator will have the opportunity to do focused research on priority policy topics, such as the Sustainable Development Goals, and develop briefs or other documents as needed. In addition, this position will work closely with CI’s planning teams for engagement in international policy meetings, such as United Nations meetings, to ensure CI’s participation is strategic and logistically efficient. This will require the Coordinator to work effectively with international staff from diverse backgrounds, respecting cultural differences and variances in styles of working.
The key responsibilities of the International Policy Coordinator are divided into approximately half administrative and logistical support and half policy research and analysis. Coordinator responsibilities will include:
- Policy Teams + Event Planning Processes: Support CI’s policy teams’ work to develop policy strategy, communications, policy products through the creation and maintenance of team planning documents and processes. Engage with staff from across CI to help them prepare for engagement in international policy meetings, including securing participants’ accommodation, facilities, catering and other event-specific requirements. As required, coordinate and provide administrative support at priority events.
- Policy Research + Writing: Provide reports and analysis to international policy team members on priority policy topics, including biodiversity, freshwater, climate change, and sustainable development, through research, analysis, and creation of briefs and other relevant documents. Track and organize information relevant to ongoing policy processes.
- Internal Communications: Organize and provide preparation support as necessary for international policy internal communications such as staff brownbags and webinars. In preparation for international policy priority events, create and circulate relevant information to participants and the rest of the organization, including presentations and logistical guides. External Communications: Support communication of CI’s policy work to external audiences through preparation of briefs and other communications projects as needed.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position is based in Arlington, VA (HQ) Infrequent opportunity to travel when skills are required.
- At least 3 years of related experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex, technical issues concerning conservation science, international development policy, and the politics surrounding multilateral institutions that are critical to CI’s success.
- Professionalism and diplomacy to engage and communicate with governments, policy-makers and partners
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to operate with considerable independence to effectively establish priorities and work accurately under time constraints
- Willingness to take initiative and proactively identify solutions
- Ability to coordinate and work effectively as a member of a team. Ability to facilitate group meetings in person and remotely.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, public policy, or natural resource management
- Fluency in Spanish, French or Portuguese.
- Professional and academic experience in international policy analysis and design, and knowledge and understanding of complex multilateral institutions.
- Experience living and working abroad
- Knowledge of climate, freshwater, conservation or international development policy.
- Personal interest in international conservation and development
- Good judgment and sense of humor