The World Bank is seeking a Climate Finance Specialist to contribute to the work program of the CMI (Carbon Market and Innovation) practice, including contributing to the design and development of new services and opportunities for the CMI Practice. The incumbent is also expected to manage the day-to-day functions of the NCM initiative including outreach and collaboration efforts. The incumbent will report to the manager of CMI practice.
The primary function of the incumbent will be to contribute to the development of new, innovative opportunities for the CMI Practice and also manage the day-to-day functions of the NCM initiative, within it. Specifically, the incumbent will be expected to:
New opportunities for the CMI Practice
• Monitor climate and carbon finance trends and contribute to identifying new innovative opportunities to achieve sustainable development objectives for CMI.
• Developing products and programs to operationalize cooperative, bottom-up approaches envisaged in the Paris Agreement specifically related to internationally transferred mitigation outcomes.
• Identify options to test and/or pilot key concepts to learn lessons from practical application, and enable concept development for programs with mitigation outcomes, particularly as they related to the World Bank Groups lending and other activities.
• Support manager on CMI Strategy, based on an understanding of the different CMI activities and how they relate with each other. This shall involve participating in in relevant meetings, preparing draft Strategy Notes and Presentations.
• Develop and implement a technical and strategic work program for the NCM initiative, in coordination with management and relevant strategic supervisors. The work program shall complement the broader objectives and activities of the CMI and will be focused on assessment and comparably of mitigation outcomes at the sectoral, national and global level.
• Prepare draft business plans and short term/long term budgets for management.
• Explore opportunities for funding in the short and long term, within the World Bank.
• Develop knowledge products and analytical tools that progress the technical and strategic work program, and its sustainable development objectives. This shall involve contracting and supervising consultants to carry out relevant terms-of-reference.
• Draft progress notes, concept notes and briefing documents for management.
Outreach and collaboration
• Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and other ongoing initiatives and platforms within the WBG. This shall involve regular consultations on progress and exploring opportunities for collaboration.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders and other ongoing initiatives and platforms outside of the WBG, including with Governments, private sector, academics and non-government organizations.
• Coordinate, facilitate and organize bilateral and multi-stakeholder meetings, consultations and workshops for internal and external audiences.
• Participate in industry events and prepare and deliver presentations on behalf of CMI.
• Respond to queries from stakeholders, providing information and liaising as appropriate.
• Climate change – knowledge and experience with the international regulatory framework for climate change is essential.
• Experience in climate change mitigation programs and policies, in particular carbon finance or emissions trading is required.
• Environment / climate / carbon finance – working knowledge of a range of financing alternatives; can conduct a range of environmental financial analyses.
• Innovation – demonstrated willingness to explore and develop innovative approaches.
• Policy dialogue skills – identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders.
• Integrative skills – working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector and its relationship with other sectors.
• Knowledge and experience in development arena – understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients.
• Policy, Strategy and Institutions – Familiarity with one or more sector (e.g. energy, urban, transport, etc.) policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• World Bank operations – relevant experience with World Bank operations, other international institutions/companies and/or government in climate change and relevant sector is desirable.
• Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries – Demonstrated ability to collaborate across boundaries, give own perspective and willingly receive diverse perspectives.
• Client orientation – a track record of good external client relations skills at all levels of seniority.
• Drive for results – takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
• Teamwork (collaboration) and inclusion – collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Knowledge, learning and communication – actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
• Business judgment and analytical decision making – analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
Other Selection Criteria
• Advanced university degree in business, environment, engineering, economics, international relations or other relevant discipline;
• At least 5 years of work experience in relevant businesses or sectors;
• Knowledge of climate change issues, international policy framework and negotiations, market mechanisms, climate and carbon finance developments and other relevant global environmental programs is required;
• Experience in developing and/or analyzing climate change mitigation policies, strategies, institutional arrangements, and/or other funding mechanisms is desirable. Experience in Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) or Emission Trading Scheme is expected.
• Private sector experience in environmental and/or energy markets desirable. Understanding of how financial markets and instruments are used to address climate change.
• Excellent speaking and written communication skills in English.