Forest Trends’ Ecosystem Marketplace is seeking a part time to full time research assistant for our Carbon Program. The position will run for an initial 3 month contract, with potential for extension into Winter/Spring ’12-‘13.
About the Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program
Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program produces a range of qualitative and quantitative analyses of the voluntary and forest carbon markets. Our products include original news articles, annual marketplace reports, periodic topical reports, newsletters, a resource library and tracking carbon offset projects. For more information about Ecosystem Marketplace, a leading source of information and analysis on environmental markets and payments for ecosystem services, visit www.ecosystemmarketplace.com
In addition to these online references, the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Program also works to link market participants with each other and advises companies, governments and other NGOs on carbon market development, transparency, social and environmental co-benefits and other mechanisms.
Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends, a Washington DC-based international non-profit organization that works to promote the conservation of forested ecosystems and the lives of those who depend on them through markets and payments for ecosystem services.
Carbon Program Research Assistant Description:
The Carbon Program seeks a research assistant to support research, analysis and writing in continuation of these activities – focusing on voluntary and compliance-based demand for carbon offsets – including offsets from forest carbon sequestration and other payments for forest-based ecosystem services. The Carbon Program research assistant will be able to commit to 20-40 hours per week to support the range of activities under the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Markets Program.
Responsibilities may include:
- Support in preparation of the State of the Forest Carbon/Voluntary Carbon Markets report, including corresponding with survey contacts and reviewing results
- Data collection for the annual State of reports and other carbon publications
- Story identification and summary writing for weekly news briefs, reaching >10,000 readers
- Researching carbon news and events to contribute to Ecosystem Marketplace website news, feature stories, event listing and blog
- Contributing to updates of Ecosystem Marketplace Marketwatch website sections and the Forest Carbon Portal
- Representing the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Program at relevant conferences and/or events in the Washington, DC region
- And other tasks that arise
- Graduate degree a plus
- Interest in conservation finance/payments for ecosystem services and basic knowledge of the carbon markets or another ecosystem service market
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills; journalism skills a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment, but also to work well with minimum management
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Access
- Ability to commute to a Washington, DC Georgetown office
$10-$15/hour depending on level of education and experience. Employer benefits are not provided.
Submit your resume and a cover letter by July 20, 2012. Early submissions encouraged, as the position will (ideally) commence on July 30, 2012. Please send your materials to: