In line with UNDP’s strategy to enhance its support to country offices through the establishment of Regional Service Centers (RSCs), bringing together policy, technical, programmatic, operational, and coordination advisory resources and capacities from all the relevant Bureaus to ensure cohesion among the various services provided to country offices, the Energy and Environment Cluster is stationed in the UNDP LAC Regional Service Center.
Through country-level capacity development activities and the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) Carbon Facility, UNDP aims to increase the uptake of the Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), as a tool for increasing investments in lower carbon-intensity development, and geographically diversifying the CDM’s positive MDG impacts. The Carbon-2012 project seeks to advance these objectives and the attainment of the Millennium Development Goals in the Latin American and Caribbean region, through results-oriented capacity development activities and the development of a robust pipeline of high MDG-impact CDM projects.
Under the general guidance of the Regional Technical Advisors for Climate Change and the Carbon Finance Technical Advisor, and the direct supervision of the Energy and Environment Practice Team Leader, the Carbon Finance Project Technical Analyst will contribute to the team ´s capacity to provide technical and substantive guidance for the development of a strong CDM Project Portfolio in the context of the Carbon-2012 project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
The Carbon Finance Project Technical Analyst will assist the UNDP Energy and Environment Climate Change Unit in LAC in providing guidance on carbon project development activities in the LAC Region. He/she will:
- Assist in providing up to date information and guidance on state of CDM and voluntary carbon markets to Carbon 2012 project participants.
- Monitor and report on activities related to the development of the post-2012 carbon market
- Under guidance from the supervisor, provide timely and fluid exchange of CDM project information between Carbon Finance Officers delivering the Carbon-2012 project, and between other related capacity development projects in the region and globally.
- Support the identification of project opportunities and assist in providing technical backstopping for project activities supported by Carbon 2012.
- In collaboration with the Technical Advisor and UNDP Country Offices, effectively and proactively source potential projects to be supported by Carbon 2012 and other relevant UNDP initiatives.
- Support the Carbon Finance Technical Advisor in the implementation of Carbon 2012 activities in participating countries.
- In consultation with the technical advisor, provide guidance to supported project proponents regarding carbon project development services and carbon credit sales options.
Cross cutting cluster Support
- Support the implementation of the Energy and Environment Practice Climate Change Mitigation workplan.
- Support the Environment and Energy Practice in LAC in the identification and implementation of synergies between Carbon Markets and other sources of financing for Climate Change Mitigation activities, including the GEF, bilateral/multilateral donors, and national investments, among others.
- Work in close collaboration with Project Staff of climate change projects
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters Degree or equivalent from an accredited educational institution in Environment, Economics, or International Development
- Two years of professional working experience in carbon finance or related field.
- Detailed knowledge of the rules and procedures of the CDM and experience with the project development cycle.
- Experience in working with national governments and agencies on climate change.
- Familiarity with private sector participation in Clean Development Mechanism projects.
- Experience in implementing CDM capacity development projects.
- Work experience in UNDP and knowledge of UNDP policies and procedures is desirable.
- Proven capacity in knowledge management and network building.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
- Working knowledge of any other language of the region is desirable.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.